Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Goodbye Fair-Weather Runners

The fair-weather runners have apparently gone into hibernation for the winter already. I really enjoy when the fair-weather runners go into hibernation for the late fall, entire winter and early spring. Nobody enjoys when your dog does his business right in the middle of the trail. Nobody enjoys when you see a long lost friend and take up the entire pavement holding a conversation. Nobody enjoys when you try to pass someone and they speed up until you fall back behind them. Nobody enjoys when little children or inexperienced cyclists practically run you over with their bikes. Nobody enjoys when you get chased by a loose dog, even if it does give you a nice speed workout. Nobody enjoys when you get nasty looks, no response or yelled at for saying hello to other runners or walkers. These annoyances do not just apply to the rail trail, but they also apply to the roadway as well. If you are a true runner, then you probably get annoyed with most of these things too. I could really go on with the list forever, but I will instead commend the all-weather runners for making the winter running months so much more bearable. It takes a lot of motivation to run in the rain, snow, sleet, hail, wind and subzero temperatures. I know that this is dedication because I run outside for as much of the winter as I can. I do give in to the treadmill occasionally, but I would much rather fall on the pavement than a moving treadmill. So thank you all-weather runners for reminding me that I am not the only crazy winter runner and for always being so friendly on that lonely winter pavement.

Today's 40 degree temperature did not stop Sandy and I from hitting up the rail trail after work. After running in negative temperatures last winter, today's weather was nothing to us. Sandy and I have been running buddies for almost two years now. We often hit up the rail trail after work or meet up on Sunday mornings for an easy long run and breakfast. Having someone else to run with really makes a huge difference and helps to pass the time so much more quickly. We have run several races together and even trained for a half marathon together with some of our coworkers in the spring. Sandy and I both have those 13.1 stickers on the back of our cars, but mine looks better because I did not slice mine when I was trying to open the package. When we arrived at the rail trail today, I happened to notice that my 13.1 sticker was sliced now too. I made a comment to Sandy and she starts laughing hysterically because apparently she switched our stickers about 3 weeks ago. Since Sandy is really into practical jokes and it took me so long to notice, I do have to applaud her for doing something that she knew would really bug me when I saw it. We swapped back our stickers and Sandy probably patted herself on the back at this point. Once the sticker ordeal was over, I noticed that the parking lot was practically empty. The only other people that we saw out on the trail while we were running were either all-weather walkers or bikers. After yesterday's fantastic run, I decided that today should be an easy day. Sandy and I did a modified version of a tempo run where we alternated between an easy run and a fast run every 1/4 mile. The only goal that we had was to complete a 3 mile tempo so we did not really care how fast or slow we were. We ran 3 miles in 30:09, which is the fastest that the two of us have ever ran together. I would say that a 3 mile tempo run followed by a 1 mile walk was a pretty good workout for today.

12 miles complete in 1:35:59 and only 206 days until conquering 26.2 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment